Thursday, March 18, 2010

Fun in Sydney

I’m back home after my quick trip to Sydney for the Kirribilli Art & Design Markets and to catch up with family and friends.

The Thursday Sewing group were in Canberra for the Masterpieces from Paris Exhibition on Friday so we had dinner at Ginseng that evening. It was wonderful to see them and I couldn’t believe my bad luck that I was driving up to Sydney the next day while they were in Canberra. Saturday morning I had four new Paper Quilt students and one experienced student for a class at a White Dragon Papercraft - then it was off to Sydney.

I had a very early start on Sunday morning so I was able to drive my car into the tunnel to unload all my tables and boxes. I couldn’t believe that it was over a year since I had set up my stall there. It was great to be back at this venue so close to Sydney Harbour that you can smell the sea and hear the sea gulls and ferries – not to mention the freshly brewed coffee from the little coffee shops which spill out onto the pavements. It was lovely to see many of the stall holders from the past.
Everyone is almost set up ready for 9am

Getting busier
A stylish shopper
Accordian musician, Philip Wittwer inspiring a French atmosphere

The Market was busy all day and had a real buzz to it. The musician for the morning session, Philip Wittwer, expertly played an accordion. It was as though we had been transported to Paris. It was truly magical. In the afternoon we listened to some great jazz. It was a very successful and happy day and I am sad that I won’t be able to get back there till June or July.

Driving back, I couldn’t resist popping into Berrima. Many of the shops were closed, being a Tuesday which was unfortunate but it is always a lovely spot full of old world charm. It is the first time that I have driven back with green country side as a view the whole way. Our little valley was brilliant green and the trees looked fresh and healthy after the rain of the last month. With the softer Autumn light it seemed almost unreal.

The Magpie Cafe at Berrima - ready for the lunch trade
Through the window into the new room at The Magpie
Berrima Cottage next door - full of treasures

Back home again - next morning sunrise on the back hill

No comments: